[Vision2020] The Neo-Confederacy at Logos School

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Nov 20 16:27:59 PST 2005

Michael,

I am sorry for my harsh words since it appears from your note that I failed to understand your usage of the phrase "around"here", thinking it meant the area not the forum, since I thought the question you asked referred to long going community discussions outside of V 2020 about Christ Church and related subjects.

Further, I hope that you will have patience to continue our discussion of induction.   It is a prelude to getting back to the problem of evil and related topics.  Remember, you wrote:

"Induction is the process of weighing evidence, where as deduction is syllogistic.  The differences between the two that I laid out is, as far as I can tell, common orthodoxy in the Universities.  I see rain clouds coming and so I believe "it will rain."  Then I walk into my living room and see the weather channel which tells me it will not rain.  Now my original conclusion is weakened, but I still think it will rain.  Then I see the sun coming out and the rain clouds moving in a different direction.  This third piece of evidence now makes my original conclusion very weak and I no longer think it will rain. Plantinga calls me up and tells me Doug Wilson has told God to make it rain; now I know with certainty that it will rain.  This is pretty basic cognitive stuff, and any higher level hypothesis formation, deductions, confirmation theories, and the like, are going to be built out of this basic cognitive behavior."

So far we do not have a disagreement in this thread.  It order to test and perhaps offer a very minor modification to your characterization of induction, it is necessary to be clear about and to agree upon certain fundamental things so that we may reach the maximum amount of agreement before our views finally diverge, if, in the end, they do.

So I beg for your patience in our discussion and I will try to keep it short, clear, and if possible, at times amusing, before actually addressing the problem of evil and related subjects again.

My misconstrual of the meaning of your usage of "around here" is another example of why you and I need to be very clear about the meanings of the words we use especially in the subjects of great ontological import we are discussing.

Again I offer my deepest apologies for misconstruing "around here" and the resulting accusations.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com