[Vision2020] Economics of Business and new development

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 15:45:44 PST 2005

Dan,
That is interesting.  So Wal Mart is the largest "for profit" in Moscow.  I agree, we need more "for profit" employers.  It would be nice if the new for profit employers were not low paying retail based also.  One of the problems you will see if the new development mall goes in across the state line is pay.  Washington has a higher minimum wage than Idaho and is scheduled to regularly increase. Good for the worker but bad for employers.  The mall would be outside of Moscow and Idaho and would not be subject to our big box ordinance.  Also, I think someone already posed this question, whose water and sewer do they hook up to?  Moscow's?  Whose emergency services do they use?  Moscow's?  They definitely wouldn't be paying property tax and Idaho wouldn't benefit from sales tax receipts.  These are things that somebody needs to consider (and maybe they are but I haven't heard anything about them).

"Area Man (Dan C)" <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:
Jeff says:
"Walmart is the third or fourth largest employer in Moscow (a bit over
200 folks)."

I saw this the same place Jeff did, and I believe this may be slightly
dated (Tidyman's still listed), but it gives an idea:

http://www.idahoworks.com/Portals/27/Profiles/Community/Moscow.pdf

University of Idaho 2870
Moscow School District 350
Gritman 330
Wal Mart 207
Latah Health Services 180
City of Moscow 105

I'd sure like to see us bring someone in here to take a little of the
burden of employment off the public entities.

Support the LEDC

DC (yeah, you can support DC as well in 2007)

List services made available by First Step Internet,
http://www.fsr.net
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com