[Vision2020] Saint Brigid, beer and cats

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 12 11:06:13 PST 2005

Michael,

I said "some of the early Christians," not all of them, as you seem
to imply. Paul rebuked the Corinthians for licentious behavior while
they were apparently awaiting the end of the world with the Second
Coming of Christ. Paul told them the time was very short, so they had
better behave themselves. Just read the text, Michael.

Incidentally, "Bible" in this context is a proper noun, viz., the
title of a book, so it is spelled with a capital "B" by Bible
scholars and everybody else who knows his/her grammar. Check a
dictionary.

Also, what do you mean by "you guys" in "I really didn't think you
guys were all
that interested in being resident bible scholars."?

Ralph

Ralph,

I'm not sure what your point is.  Perhaps you could clarify.  The
comment
about Gideons bible was just a joke; I really didn't think you guys
were all
that interested in being resident bible scholars.  If the charge of
lacking
knowledge about the bible is insulting to you, then I'll change my
approach.
Anyhow, you referenced Paul's writing in 1 Cor. in view of the second
coming
and asserted that the early Christians had no time to think of beer
(hence,
drinking alcohol generally); you also said that they did not have
time to
think about sex.  I corrected you by pointing out that these to
claims are
false. We know that the church in Corinth was given to much illicit
sex and
drunkenness, and we know this based on this very letter of Paul to
them. In
response to my pointing this out, you now claim that I have
misrepresented
Paul and I have deliberately taken your remark out of context.

Yours,

Michael Metzler

Ralph's last post:

Ralph Writes:

... early Christians that they had no time to think of either beer or
cats
They didn't even have time to think about sex (1 Corinthians 7:29-31).

Me: [Michael]

Paul rebuked this church for sleeping with mom and getting drunk at
church
(among some other things). Sheesh guys; at least pick up the book in the
drawer by your hotel bed before posting to Vision 2020 for now on.

I like Paul and I don't like cats. (just trying to give you guys another
topic for conversation).

Michael Metzler

Ralph:

Michael has not addressed the issue at all. Instead, he thinks he can
run
away from it by totally misrepresenting what Paul said, deliberately
taking
my remark out of context, and trying to change the topic. So here is
what I
actually said:

"As to why neither appears in the New Testament, I suspect that the
expectation of the imminent Second Coming of Christ was so fully in the
minds of many of the early Christians that they had no time to think of
either beer or cats They didn't even have time to think about sex (1
Corinthians 7:29-31)."

Michael, I don't depend on Gideon Bibles in hotels for my information. I
have plenty at home, and in at least half a dozen different
languages. Go
read your Bible again, Michael.