[Vision2020] Warm and Fuzzy Iran (was: Joan and Sunil)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 21:51:46 PST 2005

Phil, et al.,

I don't think that anyone could read either my posts or Sunil's and
make the case that either one of us supports the current regime in Iran
or, indeed, that we are defending the Saddam regime in Iraq.  In the
former case, I don't; in the latter case, I didn't.  In fact, I just
attended a talk in Newcastle given by Peter Tatchell of Outrage.  He's
been accused of being racist and imperialist for condemning the regime
in Iran, which has lately executed a number of gays and lesbians, some
of whom were young teenagers.  The regime in Iran disgusts me; Saddam
Hussein disgusted me; I'm appalled by the governments of Syria, Egypt,
Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Libya, ad
infinitum.  I believe firmly in secular government.  It horrifies me
that the United States is willing to sacrifice democratic principles
for the sake of a steady oil supply.  We support all of the
aforementioned dictatorships except Iran, Syria, and Libya, and we have
backdoor dealings even with those.  (I have a friend who taught English
in Libya during the Reagan years.  When that country was supposedly
under full U. S. economic sanctions, Texan oil men were waived through
customs in their Tony Lama boots and their Stetson hats with a nod and
a wink.  And let's not forget that Dick Cheney's Halliburton was still
negotiating with the Taliban not one month before Al Qaeda attacked the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon.)

Now, that said, when I say I believe in secular government, I believe
in it everywhere, both here and there.  I don't want to live under a
fundamentalist religious regime here, and I don't think Iranians,
Iraqis, or anyone else should have to live under one there.  I find the
mix of fundamentalist religion and government appalling wherever it
crops up.  You've seen the bumper stickers, I'm sure -- the last time
we mixed religion and politics, people got burned at the stake?  I make
no excuses for Saddam Hussein, though I do point out that he, like Shah
Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, was once our puppet.  I also make no excuses for
the government of Iran.  But anyone who imagines that we are in Iraq to
bring the Iraqis secular democracy hasn't bothered to read the new
Iraqi constitution.  Have you not heard the mutterings of our
Republican brethren about women not having the vote when *this* country
was founded, and so we must be satisfied with mere baby steps toward
democracy in Baghdad?  Horse-puckey.  In for a penny, in for a pound.
Either we deliver democracy, or we stop pretending.

We cannot, should not, and must not accept the President of Iran
calling for the destruction of Israel.  We cannot accept the execution
of gays, lesbians, and other non-conformists in any culture or under
any regime.  This is the Amnesty International position, and it's my
position.  Do I think, however, that Muslim governments have cornered
the market on fundamentalist religious abuse?  Not on your nelly.  The
problem is not Islam, anymore than George W. Bush's problem is
Christianity.  The problem is the violent imposition of one's will on
another, a problem as old as humankind.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com