[Vision2020] Ethics Panel Censures Idaho Senator

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 5 11:13:19 PST 2005

>From today's (March 5, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune

Ethics panel censures Idaho senator; Failure to delcare conflict of interest
brings Sen. Jack Noble's conduct to Senate for possible verbal rebuke

BOISE -- A Senate Ethics Committee voted Friday to censure state Sen. Jack
Noble for lying under oath and trying to pass legislation that would have
benefited his family business without declaring a conflict of interest.

The ethics panel will now make a report to the full Senate, which could
accept or reject the recommendation against the Kuna Republican.

If the full body agrees, Noble would be admonished by receiving a verbal
rebuke while standing in front of his peers.

However, the two-term senator would retain his seat and all privileges that
go with it.

He also would retain his seat on the Agriculture, Education and
Transportation Committee, although he will lose his position as vice
chairman of the Education Committee. He will also continue to draw his
salary of $16,000 a year.

Noble has been in trouble for the past three weeks for his legislation that
would have changed the way the state calculates the distance required
between schools and liquor stores.

Even though Noble's convenience store in Melba is now not eligible for a
state contract, the new calculations would have changed that. Noble is
trying to sell the convenience store.

During his sworn testimony two weeks ago, Noble told the ethics committee he
knew that his family owned convenience store could not profit from
legislation he presented to the State Affairs Committee on Feb. 4, which was
proven false.

Three Democrats Friday initially voted to remove Noble from the Senate
entirely, but the three Republicans committee members didn't agree. The
committee eventually voted for censure.

Democrats on the committee decided to join the Republicans following their
failed proposal to evict Noble from his Senate seat.

"In my view, it was important that we agree as a team on a recommendation,
and it was apparent that expulsion was off the table," Sen. Kate Kelly said
afterward.

"Censure is a pretty powerful tool," Senate Minority Leader Clint Stennett
said. "I would expect the public to recognize that the senator has little
ability now to serve his constituency."

Senate President Pro Tem Bob Geddes, R-Soda Springs, said he had "full trust
and confidence in the (ethics) committee.

"If a committee of ethics was ever called on my behalf, I would feel
comfortable with each and every member of this committee to sit in judgment
of me," Geddes said, adding that he intended to support the final
recommendation.

He added: "If the rest of the Senate will be satisfied with that, I can't
predict."

Noble sat with his attorney as the committee deliberated. He would not speak
with reporters after the meeting. However, he delivered a statement to the
Senate and the Pro Tem's office at midday Friday, repeating his apology "for
the actions which caused this process. I stand ready to accept the judgment
of my colleagues on the floor when the report is received."

The special Senate ethics panel was led by Sen. Brent Hill, of Rexburg.
Other Republicans on the panel were Hal Bunderson of Meridian and John
Goedde of Coeur d'Alene. Other Democrats on the committee besides Kelly were
Edgar Malapeai of Pocatello and Bert Marley of McCammon.

At one point during Friday's meeting, Bunderson tried to steer the committee
toward a lesser action, a formal reprimand under which Noble would have been
scolded publicly by the President of the Senate, but the idea didn't get any
support.

Goedde and Hill both indicated they had thought about the expulsion option,
but Goedde seemed to change his mind when the committee learned it was
possible for the voters in Noble's district to recall him.

Hill said he anticipated that some would not be pleased with the committee's
decision.

"There will be many who will criticize the actions and recommendations of
this committee. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that no matter what
we did or what we recommended, there will always be many who will criticize.
No one really wins. Everybody loses."

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"When people sin, everybody has to pay."

- Douglas Wilson of Wilson, Inc. (dba Christ Church) (June 7, 2002)

For more details:  http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse