[Vision2020] Breaking News: Is Sponge Bob Gay?

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Thu Jan 20 13:07:33 PST 2005

This SpongeBob fan had to know more.  But further investigation makes
Debbie's breaking news even harder to understand:

According to the We Are Family Foundation website, "Arthur, Barney, Bear,
Big Bird, Clifford, JoJo and SpongeBob, as well as over 100 other beloved
children's characters, have united to re-record the smash hit "We Are
Family" in an unprecedented music video to promote tolerance and diversity
to America's children. The video, which demonstrates to children the
importance of togetherness embodied in the word “family”, will be
distributed to 61,000 public and private elementary schools in the United
States on March 11, 2005, in celebration of the proposed National We Are
Family Day."

So what is the objection? Is SpongeBob kissing Patrick on camera?  Is Bob
the Builder sporting a Rainbow Pride button?  Clifford the Big Gay Dog?  Are
there even any gay or lesbian families in the video?

Nope.  According to the American Family Association magazine for January,
the issue is that some of the organizations which support this project have
also, at other times, in other places, unconnected in any way to this video,
objected to homophobia.  This connection might lead to what the group calls
a "secondary discussion about homosexuality," if any child who watched the
video then went online and managed to get through four or five links to a
page that referred to tolerance for people of different sexual orientations.

http://www.afajournal.org/2005/january/1.05cover.asp

"Wildmon said it is difficult taking a stand against such projects. "Nobody
I know has a problem with teaching children to be respectful and tolerant.
It is wrong, however, to use such concepts to open the door to a secondary
discussion about a controversial subject like homosexuality," he said.

Right.  Let's use concepts like disrespect and violence to open those
discussions.

Squidwardly yours,

Melynda Huskey