[Vision2020] thank you

ChristChurch Wife christchurchwife at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 15:12:27 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries,

The intent of my original posting was to thank Visionaries for their kind and helpful postings.  I didn't think I'd be writing again, but here I am.  You have my deepest appreciation for your responses to my first letter. I wasn't surprised or offended that some of you thought I was a phony.  Anonymous postings beg for questions of authenticity.

I believe the Burns' letter were written with the desire to help me although I was left bewildered by many of Mr. Burns' conclusions.  He wrote that he didn't know Doug Wilson and that he'd never met him.  Not meeting or knowing him in no way excludes him from knowledge or study of Wilson's theology, though nothing he wrote was specific to Doug alone.  If Mr. Burns is totally unacquainted with Doug then ignorance of the teaching, writings, and serrated edge ministry of Christ Church could leave him in shock upon perusal of it.

I have a few small suggestions you may want to consider, Mr. Burns. Fundamental to any aid for Christ Church members is a basic knowledge of Doug Wilson's ways.  It is why I find Vision 2020 so refreshing and in it's unique way, healing.  A clear understanding of Doug's ideas and theology establishes a type of credibility that is impossible for those ignorant of it to possess. If you don't know what cancer is, you certainly cannot treat it. Having said that, I understand that people do not have to walk through a valley of darkness to be able to minister to those who have.  I believe presumption is a great temptation, though, for this kind of counselor. There is no replacement for walking a mile in someone's shoe.

Presuming that someone left a church because they were "taking the bait of the enemy" is a drastic accusation at best.  Assuming you knew their reasons for leaving is a sad thing.   I admit that your conclusion of my state of heart and life would have left me shocked had I not witnessed for years the harshness that Christians inflict upon their brethren in the Lord. Unbelievers are not nearly as capable of hurting us as we are of hurting each other and your letter spoke loudly to that condition.  Your thoughts indicted me of bitterness, potentially rotting from the inside out, and not submitting to my husband.  All of those things are untrue. But your worst offense was the question, "Are you going outside your husbands covering and getting together with others to share your concerns for the church?" which was then followed by your command for me to, "Stop it."  Why did you bother asking the question?

Through your words you have made yourself judge, trial, and jury of my life. You have no authority biblical or otherwise to make such presumptions of me or anyone else.  I fear, by your command, that you could be unsatisfied with the submission of your wife alone.  You presume to command me?? Perhaps your scriptural interpretation of submission is increasing your appetite for power.  If that is the case I urge you to beware.

Submission is not fairy dust that magically turns wrong decisions into eternal bliss for the family.  Wrong decisions yield wrong results. They also reap pain and consequences that could have been avoided if husbands had only listened to and followed the wisdom of their "helpmeets." God said it was not good for man to be alone.  He needed help.  My husband needs my help, Sir, whether you believe that or not.  He needs my protection from a man who has blinded his eyes and I am fully qualified and capable of giving it to him, thank God.  I will not allow our family to be swallowed up by the deception that comes from sincerely trusting in the arm of ecclesiastical flesh.  Life is very complicated.  It is very scary and hard. Husbands and wives need each others wisdom and love desperately in life. Thankfully, my husband is giving me a chance, a chance that used to be a huge part of our lives until we became Christ Church members. I intend to rescue my family in as prudent and pe!
 aceable
 way as I can. I will not allow you nor anyone else twist submission into a decree for silent tooth grinning while a monster is on the loose attacking anyone he pleases.  Two are stronger than one and a three fold cord is not easily broken.  It is not submission that "never fails," it is love.

A Christ Church wife