[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 18 05:32:03 PST 2005

>From today's (February 18, 2005) UI Friday Letter.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

February 18, 2005

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, we have been working since last spring to shape a plan
for a strong, sustainable future for the University. After a months-long
process, I had the opportunity last Friday to outline a "Plan for Renewal of
People, Programs and Place."

Firmly grounded in the work of the University Vision and Resources Task
Force, and shaped by the ideas of academic deans, vice presidents and
provost, faculty, staff, students, stakeholders and constituents, it
outlines an action plan to balance the University's budget and five
strategic academic themes to guide the University' future.

The plan focuses the vision of the institution and calls for investment in
competitive compensation to recruit and retain the highest quality faculty
and staff. It also calls for investment in five, strategic,
inter- and multidisciplinary academic themes: promoting science and
technology; advancing the liberal arts and sciences; catalyzing
entrepreneurial innovation; stewarding the environment; and understanding
sustainable design and lifestyle.

In addition, the plan calls for redesigning and energizing outreach
activities, being more strategic in enrollment management, implementing a
university-wide diversity plan, reorganizing and downsizing administration
and laying the groundwork for a future comprehensive university-wide capital
campaign. Meaningful efforts are already underway to further align and
create synergy of efforts with the UI Foundation and the UI Alumni
Association as we all work together to strategically advance the interests
of the university.

The plan outlines steps for an immediate, permanent, $4.75 million general
operating budget reduction - about 1.5 percent, as well as a multi-year
approach to solve the accumulated deficit at $2 million per year. The cuts
will mainly be administrative costs.

There are two other decisions I have made that typify the large and small
decisions we need to make to curtail costs, yet do not directly affect the
delivery of academic programs. The first is to curtail active work on
seeking private and federal funding for building the Lionel Hampton
Performance and Education Center. While we will remain active in seeking
funds in support of the jazz archive collections, scholarships and the Jazz
Festival itself, the $80 million projected cost for the building is
excessive in light of no credible evidence of a sufficient private lead gift
nor federal support for construction. I also have decided to break from
academic tradition and not engage an inauguration to commemorate the
beginning of my presidency. The savings will exceed $70,000; I want these
resources to be used elsewhere for our core mission.

Now is the time to summon the will for change and exhibit the resolve to be
successful. The need to align our resources with focused priorities is
pivotal for achievement of our aspirations for the future and to serve
Idaho, the nation and the world. I encourage you to review the complete
"Plan for Renewal of People, Programs and Place" at www.today.uidaho.edu;
the audio or video of the presentation can be found at
www.president.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=73075

Tim White
President

Take care,

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy