[Vision2020] Re: Chas on Godwin

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 00:28:08 PST 2005

Chas

Point taken.

One variation (As in LOL), I do think that I would worry more than your
average bit if the child rearing book by Hitler was titled "How I was
raised".

I have been reading Old Wine, New Flasks, by Hoffman and Schmidt, a book
which I think Joan mentioned in a previous posting.  Great book.

One of the things that it brings up is handedness in chemistry.  It notes
that all life on earth has specific handedness for sugars and for amino
acids and for resulting genetic materials.  They suggest that the energy
variation in handedness in the weak force may be responsible, but I was
recalling conversations with RD Brown back on the old Usenet newsgroups
discussing atmospheric origins for amino acids.  RD thought that iron nickel
catalysts in the presence of kaolin clay particles in a CO2 rich atmosphere
should form organic molecules inorganically and had performed a number of
experiments to show that he could make building block chemicals in
lightening flashes if controlled atmospheres.  The resulting materials were
evenly handed.  I was looking recently at nanotech work on sorbtion of
catalysts to zeolites and halloysite clays and noted that they form in
spirals down the nanotubes.  I have to wonder if either material were used
in preference to platelets kaolinite, if handedness would be preferential as
observed in the planet we live on.

RD's point in our discussions was that the only way to get large amounts of
iron nickel catalyst into the upper reaches of the stratosphere was to
impact the early earth with large meteors.  It was an interesting mix of
extraterrestrial origin for life versus simple planetary origins.

Phil Nisbet