[Vision2020] Grunt's-Eye View

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Dec 3 12:28:14 PST 2005

John D. utters:

"Can you help me understand why you are proud of having been in the
military? I personally see a lot of negative things when it comes to the
military. Anyone can join up for a volunteer force, so I don't see much
merit there. If there is a draft, the choice is not yours at all. In the
military, you train to kill people, or worse, actually kill them. You
operate in an authoritarian system. Finally, the military uses/wastes an
enormous amount of society's resources."

What the . . . ?

HUH?

What "negative things" have you seen come from our troops, John D.?

Being an all volunteer force makes the recruit's decision to join just that
much more important.

As far as the rest of your statement (for lack of a better term), have you
got ANYTHING to back up your trash?

As far as my pride in my service is concerned, having formed life-long
friendships in the service to my country, and having lost two extremely
close friends in Vietnam, DAMN RIGHT I take pride in my service!  I consider
myself to be a patriot.  I applaud those actions my country pursues that
places it on the moral highground and severely criticize those selfish and
self-serving actions of an administration that never wore the uniform.

Tom Hansen

U.S. Army (Retired)

"I love my country but fear my government."

- Author Unknown

  _____

> I am a disably retired Army veteran and EXTREMELY proud of my service.
> Tell us, Ms. Kraut. What have you done for your country lately?

Can you help me understand why you are proud of having been in the military?
I personally see a lot of negative things when it comes to the military.
Anyone can join up for a volunteer force, so I don't see much merit there.
If there is a draft, the choice is not yours at all. In the military, you
train to kill people, or worse, actually kill them. You operate in an
authoritarian system. Finally, the military uses/wastes an enormous amount
of society's resources.

  _____

Yahoo! Personals
Lots of someones, actually. Try