[Vision2020] Just an idea

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:24:31 PDT 2005

Since one of the concerns expressed is that some folks who are part of a
group called Sons of the Conferacy are running about, why not organize
something like Sons of the Grand Army of the Republic?  My Great Great
Grandfather and my Great Grandfather were both members of that organization,
which was a service organization like the American Legion or the VFW.  You
could use a spin off like it to highlight some of the great men who risked
much to spread freedom following the Civil War like Joseph Hayne Rainey, for
just one example
http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/939/Joseph_Rainey_was_the_first_Black_congressman___

As I have noted previously, highlighting the actual situation that slavery
was and dealing with it in a why we had to fight the Civil War manner is the
best approach to solving revisionism.  I find it funny that many historians
who have previously taken a revisionist approach and tried to make the Civil
War seem something other than a battle to end slavery were often hailed as
brilliant by those of the left.  Their revisionism leads in a straight line
to the kinds of revisionist Confederate system as Good Massa that you are
now seeing.

There are just wars.  The Civil War was one of them.  So indeed was World
War Two.  Revisionism that attempts to impart improper motives in either war
allows the kind of Holocaust Denial and Slavery denial movements their
opportunity to play as if they had a historical basis.

The bulk of those in the south did not own slaves.  The bulk of the south
were duped into fighting for the slave ownership of a few very wealthy
aristocratic families.  The bulk of poor whites were in just as nasty a bind
as the poor slaves or the black freeman.  They were kept illeducated and
told lies with regards to what the war aims of the Confederacy were.

So teach it and bring the ediface of supposed pride in the antebellum south,
that treated the bulk of its people as chattels, not just the slaves, but
its poor whites and free blacks as well, down arond the ears of the
revisionists.

Phil Nisbet