[Vision2020] Ballot Access

Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Mon Sep 20 16:23:55 PDT 2004

Visionaires:

Tim Lohrmann asked me to investigate whether or not legislation concerning
ballot access was going to be introduced during the next legislative session.
Tim indicated that he heard that the bill would heighten ballot
access hurdles by requiring that a certain number of required
registered voter signatures be gathered in EACH county of the state.
This would be an attempt to keep 3rd
parties off the ballot.

I checked with my contact in legislative services.  They reported,
"Am unaware of any legislation being proposed talked about by Mr.
Lohrmann.  Suppose he might have heard something to make ballot
access for third or other party candidates be similar to the law on
initiatives, but as of yet nothing has been proposed or is being
talked abut.  I do know that the Sec. of State is a party to a suit
by Nader for President Campaign over the issue of validity of
signatures to qualify Mr. Nader for the general electon ballot.  I'm
sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I don't know of any proposals
that would make it harder for a third party candidate to get on the
ballot than is current the case."

I also have an inquiry in to the Sec. of States office about this issue.
Apparently then according to the best sources there is no known movement
at this time in developing increased restriction for ballot access.  I
certain would oppose such a move.

Rep. Tom Trail
--
Dr. Tom Trail