[Vision2020] Latest Religious Messages from News of the Weird

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:53:38 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C40E71.FB646310

Latest Religious Messages

(N) Separation of Church and Clinic:  At a November hearing on
Thomas DeVol's business practices, Missouri's State Committee
of Psychologists also heard evidence that the marriage counselor
had described himself as a "Christian psychologist" who
estimated that, during his 20-year practice, about 150 of his
clients were possessed by demons and other "evil spirits." (The
Committee was still deliberating DeVol's fate at press time.)
And in February in Genoa, Italy, Catholic Cardinal Tarcisio
Bertone announced formation of a committee of three priests and
three health professionals to decide, on possible cases of satanic
possession, whether the parishioner should be referred to
counseling or to an exorcist. [Columbia Tribune-AP, 11-24-03]
[Reuters, 2-13-04]

* Update:  Indian sadhu Lotan (aka Ludkan) Baba was reported
in News of the Weird in 1995 for his 2,500-mile holy journey
through the Indian countryside traveling by lying on the ground
and rolling over, and over, and over, the entire distance (doing
from 6 to 13 miles a day).  In September 2003 (reported in video
on the CBS News website in January 2004), he set out on a
1,500-mile trip, rolling from Ratlam, India, to Lahore, Pakistan,
where he said he hopes to thank President Pervez Musharraf for
his India-Pakistan peace initiatives. [WKMG-TV (Orlando), 1-
30-04]

* From an underreported profile of Mel Gibson in The New
Yorker (September 15, 2003), discussing his then-upcoming film,
"The Passion of the Christ":  "There is no salvation for those
outside the Church.  Put it this way.  My wife is a saint.  She's a
much better person than I am.  [But] she's Episcopalian. [S]he
believes in God, she knows Jesus.  [A]nd it's just not fair if she
doesn't make it [to heaven]; she's better than I am.  But that is a
pronouncement from the chair [that she will not be saved].  I go
with it." [The New Yorker, 9-15-03]

Who is right:  Mel Gibson or Christ Church Cult Master Douglas Wilson?  Will
heaven be exclusively catholic or exclusively culties?  God could save a lot
of housing, incense, entertainment, and catering expense if the latter.

For an impartial second opinion maybe some cult lurker could ask Doug Jones
and give us the answer (using an alias, of course).  Dale Courtney is the
only cultie left with enough balls to sign his own name (at least on his
anti-public school posts).

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C40E71.FB646310

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Latest Religious =
Messages<BR><BR><B>(N)</B>=20
Separation of Church and Clinic:&nbsp; At a November hearing =
on<BR>Thomas=20
DeVol's business practices, Missouri's State Committee<BR>of =
Psychologists also=20
heard evidence that the marriage counselor<BR>had described himself as a =

"Christian psychologist" who<BR>estimated that, during his 20-year =
practice,=20
about 150 of his<BR>clients were possessed by demons and other "evil =
spirits."=20
(The<BR>Committee was still deliberating DeVol's fate at press time.) =
<BR>And in=20
February in Genoa, Italy, Catholic Cardinal Tarcisio<BR>Bertone =
announced=20
formation of a committee of three priests and<BR>three health =
professionals to=20
decide, on possible cases of satanic<BR>possession, whether the =
parishioner=20
should be referred to<BR>counseling or to an exorcist. [Columbia =
Tribune-AP,=20
11-24-03]<BR>[Reuters, 2-13-04]<BR><BR>* Update:&nbsp; Indian sadhu =
Lotan (aka=20
Ludkan) Baba was reported<BR>in News of the Weird in 1995 for his =
2,500-mile=20
holy journey<BR>through the Indian countryside traveling by lying on the =

ground<BR>and rolling over, and over, and over, the entire distance=20
(doing<BR>from 6 to 13 miles a day).&nbsp; In September 2003 (reported =
in=20
video<BR>on the CBS News website in January 2004), he set out on =
a<BR>1,500-mile=20
trip, rolling from Ratlam, India, to Lahore, Pakistan,<BR>where he said =
he hopes=20
to thank President Pervez Musharraf for<BR>his India-Pakistan peace =
initiatives.=20
[WKMG-TV (Orlando), 1-<BR>30-04] <BR><BR>* From an underreported profile =
of Mel=20
Gibson in The New<BR>Yorker (September 15, 2003), discussing his =
then-upcoming=20
film,<BR>"The Passion of the Christ":&nbsp; "There is no salvation for=20
those<BR>outside the Church.&nbsp; Put it this way.&nbsp; My wife is a=20
saint.&nbsp; She's a<BR>much better person than I am.&nbsp; [But] she's=20
Episcopalian. [S]he<BR>believes in God, she knows Jesus.&nbsp; [A]nd =
it's just=20
not fair if she<BR>doesn't make it [to heaven]; she's better than I =
am.&nbsp;=20
But that is a<BR>pronouncement from the chair [that she will not be=20
saved].&nbsp; I go<BR>with it." [The New Yorker, 9-15-03]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Who is right:&nbsp; Mel Gibson or =
Christ=20
Church Cult Master Douglas Wilson?&nbsp; Will heaven be exclusively =
catholic or=20
exclusively culties?&nbsp; God could save a lot of&nbsp;housing, =
incense,=20
entertainment,&nbsp;and catering expense if the latter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">For an impartial&nbsp;second opinion =
maybe=20
some cult lurker&nbsp;could ask Doug Jones and give us the answer (using =
an=20
alias, of course).&nbsp; Dale Courtney is the only cultie left with =
enough balls=20
to sign his own name (at least on his anti-public school =
posts).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Art Deco&nbsp; (Wayne Fox)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:deco@moscow.com">deco@moscow.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C40E71.FB646310--