[Vision2020] Spam

Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:36:50 -0800 (PST)

I read somewhere that Bill Gates also had an idea that you could 'earn'
the cost of the postage for solving a little 15 second puzzle or
something, just something to slow down the barrage of spam spam spam. I
haven't even noticed a blink in the rate of spam and I think it's getting
way more disgusting in topic (eg. yesterday was Hot Farm Girl with Horses
and Livestock... My all time most intriguing spam title is: Tramp and Hobo
Sex fetish site.  Maybe it was about Hobo Spiders but I doubt it)

Bleck.

Debbie
disclaimer: I hope I have not offended any livestock, farm girls, tramps
or hobos. I am sure they can share many romantic moments.

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Brad Neuman wrote:

> Actually Bill Gates idea is not that every user pays postage.  It is that
> for a user to send mail, he/she post a small postage (think bond) fee.  If
> the note turns out to be spam, the receiver gets this fee.  If the note is
> legitimate, the send keeps the fee.
>

> I might be willing to put up with spam at 15 cents (just a guess) or so
> charge.  It only takes about 1 second for me to hit delete.  That is a pay
> rate of a little over $500 per hour.  Given that payment, I would be willing
> to get all the spam in the world.  I could quit my job and just get spam all
> day.
>

> Brad Neuman

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray@uidaho.edu      http://www.uidaho.edu/~dgray/
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to
  have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell