[Vision2020] Civics 101 for Mr. Stile

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:42:14 -0800

Dear Mr. Stile:

A while back in response to a charge of Wilsonian theocracy, you quoted
from several famous Americans presumably to show that they favored an
American theocracy.  I have two request of you.

1. I'm very suspicious of the quotation from George Washington, and I would
like for you to locate a reference in his own writings.  I don't think you
will find it there.

2.  I would like to find for us any mention of God's laws in the U. S.
Constitution.  This, not the sayings of famous Americans, is the law of our
great nation.

And remember the God of the Declaration of Independence was "Nature's God"
not the Biblical God.  Jefferson chose that phrase very carefully.

I love the reluctant confession of Episcopal minister Bird Wilson, who
admitted in October, 1831, that "Among all our presidents from Washington
downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than
Unitarianism."  Since the Unitarian church was not officially founded until
1825, I prefer to call these fellows "religious liberals,"and you can find
my article on them at www.uidaho.edu/ngier/305/foundfathers.htm.

By the way, Mr. Stile, Doug Wilson once read this article and admitted that
it was accurate.

Yours for a religiously free America,

Nick Gier