[Vision2020] other property tax exemptions

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Jul 23 12:16:44 PDT 2004

Visionaries:

Aside from the property tax exemptions discussed on the list so far,
there's a few more to take notice of. The two that caught my eye
while serving as county commissioner were hospitals (when established
as non-profit or in affiliation with a religious order) and fraternal
organizations.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's (memory fails me on the exact date),
Gritman changed their administration from a director hired by the
hospital board to a contract with a for-profit hospital management
group. Shortly thereafter, while I was commissioner, we noticed a
significant increase in bills sent to the county from Gritman for
provision of medical indigent care. By state law, counties are
required to provide funds for medical indigency needs. The county has
only one source of funds for this mandate: the property tax. The
board of commissioners requested that Gritman provide financial
records indicating the amount of charitable care they were providing
to justify the continued exemption for the facility from the property
tax roles. To make a long story short, Gritman agreed to
significantly increase the amount of charitable care provided to
indigent patients and has stayed off the tax roles. I do not know the
current status of the amount of charitable care provided or whether
it has been examined in the decade since I left office.

The class of "fraternal organizations" troubled me then and troubles
me now. That includes everything from the Elks golf course to the
sorority/fraternity houses by campus.

Mark Solomon