[Vision2020] What is relative moralism

Aldoussoma@aol.com Aldoussoma@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:46:15 EST

--part1_156.2c94f329.2d4c54d7_boundary

Tom et. al.

Thanks for your reply and definition of "situational ethics."

My suggested definition of moral relativism with the analogy to the theory of
relativity would not be better defined as situational ethics, according to
the definition you offer, nor do I think based on what I have gathered from
Wilson's statements that Wilson would think his view of moral relativism is better
defined according to your definition of situational ethics.

First, you stated "I believe WHAT WILSON MEANS by 'relative moralism' is
better defined as situational ethics."  So you are at least in this one case
appearing to tell us how Wilson defines an idea he has used over and over, that of
"relative moralism."  If you state that what someone "means" by moral
relativism is better defined by the term situational ethics, you are stating something
about that person's beliefs.

Furthermore, the definition of "situational ethics" you offer could apply to
Wilson's stand on the death penalty or slavery, making Wilson a believer in
situational ethics, a phrase you imply better defines moral relativism, which
would contradict Wilson's statements that he is not a moral relativist.

Also, your definition of situational ethics I do not think can be equated
with, or defined in terms of, moral relativism in the strong sense of this
phrase, because of fundamental contradictions involved.  I suggested moral
relativism means there are no universal moral principles that apply to all situations,
which is clearly implied in my analogy with the theory of relativity which
states there is no one universal time applying to all places in the universe.
This is a very different definition of morality than suggested in your definition
of situational ethics, which appears to allow for universal principles of
morality, with some higher principles overruling other ones in specific
situations.

If I am correct, moral relativism is not "better defined as situational
ethics," according to my view or Wilson's, as you suggested, at least not according
to the definition you supplied.

Thanks for your time.

Ted Moffett

Tom wrote:

I stated:

"I believe that what Douglas Wilson means by 'relative moralism' is better
defined as situational ethics."

To which Ted "I have no last name" responded:

"Please Tom, do explain what "situational ethics" is, in terms of Wilson's
beliefs, which you appeared to claim to understand."

Mr. "I have no last name" - I do not claim anywhere in my 16-word post that
I understand Douglas Wilson's beliefs.  Only he can explain his beliefs.

As far as "situational ethics" is concerned:

situational ethics - The philosophy that there are overriding ethical
maxims, but that sometimes it is necessary to set them aside in particular
situations to fulfill a higher law or principle.
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767430158/student_view0/glossary.html

Now, if you will excuse me I have some posting to do.

Tom Hansen
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever

--part1_156.2c94f329.2d4c54d7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10>
<BR>Tom et. al.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for your reply and definition of "situational ethics."
<BR>
<BR>My suggested definition of moral relativism with the analogy to the theo=
ry of relativity would not be better defined as situational ethics, accordin=
g to the definition you offer, nor do I think based on what I have gathered=20=
from Wilson's statements that Wilson would think his view of moral relativis=
m is better defined according to your definition of situational ethics.
<BR>
<BR>First, you stated "I believe WHAT WILSON MEANS by 'relative moralism' is=
 better defined as situational ethics." &nbsp;So you are at least in this on=
e case appearing to tell us how Wilson defines an idea he has used over and=20=
over, that of "relative moralism." &nbsp;If you state that what someone "mea=
ns" by moral relativism is better defined by the term situational ethics, yo=
u are stating something about that person's beliefs.
<BR>
<BR>Furthermore, the definition of "situational ethics" you offer could appl=
y to Wilson's stand on the death penalty or slavery, making Wilson a believe=
r in situational ethics, a phrase you imply better defines moral relativism,=
 which would contradict Wilson's statements that he is not a moral relativis=
t.=20
<BR>
<BR>Also, your definition of situational ethics I do not think can be equate=
d with, or defined in terms of, moral relativism in the strong sense of this=
 phrase, because of fundamental contradictions involved. &nbsp;I suggested m=
oral relativism means there are no universal moral principles that apply to=20=
all situations, which is clearly implied in my analogy with the theory of re=
lativity which states there is no one universal time applying to all places=20=
in the universe. This is a very different definition of morality than sugges=
ted in your definition of situational ethics, which appears to allow for uni=
versal principles of morality, with some higher principles overruling other=20=
ones in specific situations.
<BR>
<BR>If I am correct, moral relativism is not "better defined as situational=20=
ethics," according to my view or Wilson's, as you suggested, at least not ac=
cording to the definition you supplied.=20
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for your time.
<BR>
<BR>Ted Moffett
<BR>
<BR>Tom wrote:
<BR>
<BR>I stated:
<BR>
<BR>"I believe that what Douglas Wilson means by 'relative moralism' is bett=
er
<BR>defined as situational ethics."
<BR>
<BR>To which Ted "I have no last name" responded:
<BR>
<BR>"Please Tom, do explain what "situational ethics" is, in terms of Wilson=
's
<BR>beliefs, which you appeared to claim to understand."
<BR>
<BR>Mr. "I have no last name" - I do not claim anywhere in my 16-word post t=
hat
<BR>I understand Douglas Wilson's beliefs. &nbsp;Only he can explain his bel=
iefs.
<BR>
<BR>As far as "situational ethics" is concerned:
<BR>
<BR>situational ethics - The philosophy that there are overriding ethical
<BR>maxims, but that sometimes it is necessary to set them aside in particul=
ar
<BR>situations to fulfill a higher law or principle.
<BR>http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767430158/student_view0/glossary.=
html
<BR>
<BR>Now, if you will excuse me I have some posting to do.
<BR>
<BR>Tom Hansen
<BR>Not On The Palouse, Not Ever
<BR>
<BR>A </FONT></HTML>

--part1_156.2c94f329.2d4c54d7_boundary--