[Vision2020] Good Old Climate

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:29:58 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3D920.EFF61A90

If the letter below is an example of the rhetoric that is being taught =
at NSA, NSA students are not getting their money's worth by a long shot! =
 Perhaps, nepotism reigns at NSA ahead of good sense.

A reality therapist might be helpful!  A group rate may be possible.

Wayne Fox

m: Nate Wilson=20
To: vision2020@moscow.com=20
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 12:05 PM
Subject: [Vision2020] Good Old Climate

Dear People with Perfect Vision,
 Farewell. I have been lingering on this list for only one reason. So =
that, at the end of the Christmas season, I might give you a final tally =
of vandalism at New St. Andrews College. In my capacity as freshman =
Rhetoric instructor (a position for which Dr. Gier finds me wildly =
inadequate) I volunteered to become the official Christmas light fellow =
(a position for which even Dr. Gier must admit I have superb academic =
qualifications). The first instance of vandalism occured only two and a =
half hours after the first lights had been hung, and before completion. =
Approximately three weeks later the lights have been vandalized more =
than ten times with between seventy and eighty strands of lights =
damaged, destroyed, or stolen (a graph Mr. Courtney, please). Throughout =
the season damaged strands were repaired, or replaced only to be once =
again vandalized.
    Now before everyone piles on in unanimous condemnation of such =
actions, I would like to come to the defense of the vandals. Apparently, =
they have the courage of their convictions. Some people have enough guts =
to type a snippy missive to this forum. Others have the courage to pay =
two dollars to add their names to a list of people who don't like us. =
But the particular war party that cracked their knuckles and got to work =
on the NSA Christmas lights last night had enough courage of their =
convictions to actually risk a felony vandal charge. Of course some =
people, who are always able to grasp the main point at hand, will now =
object to my usage of the insensitive phrase 'war party' but back to the =
issue at hand. I admire people who, when they say 'Not in Our Town', =
really mean it. People who want to do what they can to make us miserable =
here. People who are actually willing to admit that they think it =
illiberal for anyone to let us have Christmas lights.
    Of course the fracas of the last few months has had more than a few =
ironies. Tolerance and diversity gurus have successfully created a =
climate in which UI students feel free to vandalize the property of =
Christians. In fact I'm curious if there have actually been any =
businesses downtown, beyond "Christ Church Affiliates" that have been =
vandalized in the last few months. In normal circumstances I would =
suspect such acts of kindness to be more truly random. But lately, =
vandals have seemed more discriminating in their tastes: multi racial =
businesses and a Christian college. At this point I would like to invite =
Mr. Fox to insinuate that I tore down our own Christmas lights in an =
attempt to grab some attention. After all, I have Jewish blood, and we =
do that sort of thing. I would like to invite Andreas to wink, wink, =
nudge, nudge, insuate something about anti-semitism and Christ Church. =
If Wossname Graden would like to bring up the fact that we will most =
likely be contributing to the murder of homosexuals, now would be the =
time. Mr. London, I think asking the City Council to make it officially =
open season on Christ Church members is an excellent idea with historic =
precedent in any number of foreign countries throughout the last =
century.=20
    But perhaps the greatest irony of all (even more ironic than Raul =
Sanchez and people on this list using the words, tolerance, diversity, =
theocracy, or research) came when members of the GSA explained, in =
informal conversation, that Dean and Toni Helleckson, part owners of  =
Bucer's Coffeehouse, were actually bigoted racists because they adopted =
Haitian children. You see, they were saying that life in white American =
culture is superior to life in black Haitian orphanage culture. And then =
they imposed that view on helpless children.=20
    That's what we've come to. Ideas grip. A climate of hatred is =
created. Lights torn down, multi-racial businesses vandalized, official =
unpopularity lists, and we're told that we're the threat. People are =
scared. We're dangerous. You ought to have us put-down because we might =
bite the mailman.
    To finally wrap things up, I'm glad we bring meaning and purpose to =
your lives. That's what we're here for. Cheers.

NDW
------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3D920.EFF61A90

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DISO-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY text=3D#000000 bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D""><FONT =
face=3D"Arial Narrow"=20
size=3D2>If the letter below is an example of the rhetoric that is being =
taught at=20
NSA, NSA students are not getting their money's worth by a long =
shot!&nbsp;=20
Perhaps, nepotism reigns at NSA ahead of good sense.<BR><BR>A reality =
therapist=20
might be helpful!&nbsp; A group rate may be possible.<BR><BR>Wayne =
Fox<BR><BR>m:=20
Nate Wilson <BR>To: vision2020@moscow.com <BR>Sent: Monday, January 12, =
2004=20
12:05 PM<BR>Subject: [Vision2020] Good Old Climate<BR><BR><BR>Dear =
People with=20
Perfect Vision,<BR>&nbsp;Farewell. I have been lingering on this list =
for only=20
one reason. So that, at the end of the Christmas season, I might give =
you a=20
final tally of vandalism at New St. Andrews College. In my capacity as =
freshman=20
Rhetoric instructor (a position for which Dr. Gier finds me wildly =
inadequate) I=20
volunteered to become the official Christmas light fellow (a position =
for which=20
even Dr. Gier must admit I have superb academic qualifications). The =
first=20
instance of vandalism occured only two and a half hours after the first =
lights=20
had been hung, and before completion. Approximately three weeks later =
the lights=20
have been vandalized more than ten times with between seventy and eighty =
strands=20
of lights damaged, destroyed, or stolen (a graph Mr. Courtney, please).=20
Throughout the season damaged strands were repaired, or replaced only to =
be once=20
again vandalized.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now before everyone piles on in=20
unanimous condemnation of such actions, I would like to come to the =
defense of=20
the vandals. Apparently, they have the courage of their convictions. =
Some people=20
have enough guts to type a snippy missive to this forum. Others have the =
courage=20
to pay two dollars to add their names to a list of people who don't like =
us. But=20
the particular war party that cracked their knuckles and got to work on =
the NSA=20
Christmas lights last night had enough courage of their convictions to =
actually=20
risk a felony vandal charge. Of course some people, who are always able =
to grasp=20
the main point at hand, will now object to my usage of the insensitive =
phrase=20
'war party' but back to the issue at hand. I admire people who, when =
they say=20
'Not in Our Town', really mean it. People who want to do what they can =
to make=20
us miserable here. People who are actually willing to admit that they =
think it=20
illiberal for anyone to let us have Christmas =
lights.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of=20
course the fracas of the last few months has had more than a few =
ironies.=20
Tolerance and diversity gurus have successfully created a climate in =
which UI=20
students feel free to vandalize the property of Christians. In fact I'm =
curious=20
if there have actually been any businesses downtown, beyond "Christ =
Church=20
Affiliates" that have been vandalized in the last few months. In normal=20
circumstances I would suspect such acts of kindness to be more truly =
random. But=20
lately, vandals have seemed more discriminating in their tastes: multi =
racial=20
businesses and a Christian college. At this point I would like to invite =
Mr. Fox=20
to insinuate that I tore down our own Christmas lights in an attempt to =
grab=20
some attention. After all, I have Jewish blood, and we do that sort of =
thing. I=20
would like to invite Andreas to wink, wink, nudge, nudge, insuate =
something=20
about anti-semitism and Christ Church. If Wossname Graden would like to =
bring up=20
the fact that we will most likely be contributing to the murder of =
homosexuals,=20
now would be the time. Mr. London, I think asking the City Council to =
make it=20
officially open season on Christ Church members is an excellent idea =
with=20
historic precedent in any number of foreign countries throughout the =
last=20
century. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But perhaps the greatest irony of all =
(even more=20
ironic than Raul Sanchez and people on this list using the words, =
tolerance,=20
diversity, theocracy, or research) came when members of the GSA =
explained, in=20
informal conversation, that Dean and Toni Helleckson, part owners =
of&nbsp;=20
Bucer's Coffeehouse, were actually bigoted racists because they adopted =
Haitian=20
children. You see, they were saying that life in white American culture =
is=20
superior to life in black Haitian orphanage culture. And then they =
imposed that=20
view on helpless children. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That's what we've come =
to.=20
Ideas grip. A climate of hatred is created. Lights torn down, =
multi-racial=20
businesses vandalized, official unpopularity lists, and we're told that =
we're=20
the threat. People are scared. We're dangerous. You ought to have us =
put-down=20
because we might bite the mailman.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To finally wrap =
things=20
up, I'm glad we bring meaning and purpose to your lives. That's what =
we're here=20
for. Cheers.<BR><BR>NDW</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3D920.EFF61A90--