[Vision2020] Hillary's slur on Indian-Americans

Frank Cheng ifc_2000@yahoo.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:17:24 -0800 (PST)

While the "model minority" ideal is somewhat of
innocuous generalization, the idea that
Asian-Americans find it difficult to blend in is
another over-simplification with I believe more
harmful effects. From my experience as an American
with Asian heritage, American society in general is
color neutral. I haven’t experienced the disbelief
that I am an American, and I’ve lived all parts of
this country, from small towns to large cities. What
Asian-Americans want and value are simply what any
American would, no further explanation needed there.
Being over 40 I find that some of the younger
Asian-American crowd has been indoctrinated with
racial-identity ideas. Thus some perceive the bumps
and barriers anyone would experience in life as some
sort of racial discrimination episode. Unfortunately
many who consider themselves a member of minority
group fall into this trap and it becomes one that
holds them back.

Frank Cheng