[Vision2020] Chamber President and FirstBank

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Thu Aug 26 08:07:42 PDT 2004

Dan, et al,

If you asked me if I know how much uncommitted funds I have in my checking
account, I could tell you (if it was your business) quite quickly by checking my
check register.  It may not be accurate to the penny because of possible
recording errors but it certainly would be within 1%.  Most of the time I could
tell you quite closely without looking at the register.  Good management
practice, financial responsibility, let alone fiduciary duties compel any public
supported organization to be accurately knowledgeable about their current
financial status.

Certainly almost any well managed business would know the amount of uncommitted
funds in their various accounts closer than a 25% margin of error!

If those being interviewed by the LMT did not have access to a current check
register (you would think the president and executive director would have and
would examine it frequently as part of their duties) , they should have said so
and then say we estimate that we have about $X in the account.  Actually, they
should have said, "let me check and call you right back" instead of providing an
answer that makes them look ill-informed and incompetent.

I do not know all the details, but one of the alleged problems of the chamber
finances is that the real status of many of the accounts is highly questionable.
It is also alleged that the check register is not accurate -- an inexcusable
problem which, if so, reflects very poorly on the executive director and the
chamber board.

Since I am supporting the chamber through the dues and other contributions paid
by entities that collect taxes from me, I resent being told to butt out and
being told that the fiscal and other problems are none of my business.  If you
went to the county commissioners with questions about their operations and were
told that it is none of your business, how would you react?

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com