[Vision2020] Kerry's military record, redux.

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:24:09 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42C39.6521F9E0

Pat tells us:

>My brother took a 'college deferment' also...a lot of people did. It was=
 popular at the time.

In politics, everyone throws rocks, but you don't let your ass give instr=
uctions to your elbow.  The point isn't whether or not those eligible for=
 the draft during Vietnam took a deferment.  The point is that some men w=
ho did not serve, men who in many cases used family money and family conn=
ections, who moved heaven and earth to avoid going, now have the gall to =
belittle the military records of men like John Kerry and John McCain.  Di=
ck Cheney says he had "other priorities" than military service during Vie=
tnam.  That's fine, but who the hell is he now to throw rocks at a man wh=
o earned three Purple Hearts and the Bronze and Silver stars?  Who is Dic=
k "Five Deferments" Cheney to lecture Lt. John Kerry on the subjects of s=
trong leadership and courage under fire?  =20

Cheney, Limbaugh, DeLay, and etc., are certainly qualified to critique Ke=
rry's economic plans.  They can and should critique his Senate voting rec=
ord, his social stances, and his thinking on the environment.  By all mea=
ns, let them crack wise about his hairdo or his Botox.  But as far as his=
 military service in Vietnam is concerned, they've crossed the line betwe=
en legitimate scrutiny and disgraceful, craven, hypocritical insult.  =20

Many of us recall the poor treatment Vietnam-era veterans received when t=
hey returned home.  That was the war and they were the soldiers that ever=
yone wanted to forget.  Well, guess what?  You can still disparage Vietna=
m-era service with relative impunity -- if you're a rootin', tootin', Rep=
ublican cowboy who likes to play dress-up and who talks a big game.  =20

Look under the ten-gallon hat, folks.  I'm willing to bet money that you'=
ll find no cattle.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
   Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.m=
sn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42C39.6521F9E0

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff" STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;b=
ackground-color:#ffffff; "><DIV>Pat tells us:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V><FONT face=3DArial>&gt;My brother took a 'college deferment' also...a l=
ot of people did. It was popular at the time.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT fac=
e=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>In politics, everyo=
ne throws rocks, but you don't let your ass give instructions to your elb=
ow.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial>The point isn't whether or not those =
eligible for the draft during&nbsp;Vietnam&nbsp;took a deferment.&nbsp; T=
he&nbsp;point is that&nbsp;some men who did not serve, men who in&nbsp;ma=
ny cases used family money and family connections, who moved heaven and e=
arth to avoid going, now have the gall to belittle the military records&n=
bsp;of men like John Kerry and John McCain.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DAri=
al>Dick Cheney says he had "other priorities" than military service durin=
g Vietnam.&nbsp; That's fine, but&nbsp;who the hell is he now to&nbsp;thr=
ow rocks at&nbsp;a man&nbsp;who&nbsp;earned three&nbsp;Purple Hearts and =
the Bronze and Silver stars?&nbsp; Who is Dick "Five Deferments" Cheney t=
o lecture Lt. John Kerry&nbsp;on the&nbsp;subjects of&nbsp;strong leaders=
hip and courage&nbsp;under fire?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DAr=
ial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Cheney, Limbaugh, DeLay,&=
nbsp;and etc., are&nbsp;certainly&nbsp;qualified to critique Kerry's econ=
omic plans.&nbsp; They can and should critique his&nbsp;Senate voting rec=
ord,&nbsp;his social stances, and his thinking on the environment.&nbsp; =
By all means, let them&nbsp;crack wise&nbsp;about his hairdo or his Botox=
&nbsp; But as far as his military service in Vietnam is concerned, they'=
ve crossed the line between legitimate scrutiny and disgraceful, craven, =
hypocritical insult.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&=
nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Many of us recall the poor treatment =
Vietnam-era veterans received when they returned home.&nbsp; That&nbsp;wa=
s the war&nbsp;and they were the soldiers that everyone wanted to forget.=
&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial>Well, guess what?&nbsp; You can&nbsp;sti=
ll disparage Vietnam-era service&nbsp;with relative impunity&nbsp;--&nbsp=
;if you're a rootin', tootin',&nbsp;Republican cowboy who&nbsp;likes to p=
lay dress-up and who talks a big game.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT fac=
e=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Look under the ten-=
gallon hat, folks.&nbsp; I'm willing to bet money that&nbsp;you'll&nbsp;f=
ind no cattle.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment</FONT></DIV> <DIV><=
FONT face=3DArial>&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FO=
re from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42C39.6521F9E0--