[Vision2020] Reading on line

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:04:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0105_01C41BF9.4511D620

Sunil,

We invaded Iraq based on mostly false premises.  (The only true premise appears
to be that Saddam was not a benevolent dictator.)  We killed and mutilated many
people.  We negatively impacted many, many lives.  We destroyed a great deal of
infrastructure.  Etc., etc.

I don't not think it would be ethical or in our country's long range interest to
walk away from this mess we, for the most part, created.  As a citizen, I feel a
moral obligation to leave Iraq in at least as good of shape as before we
inflicted our thoughtless might upon it.

Participation with the UN in an international effort is the least we can do.
That effort, however, would be very difficult given the current insurgency.

Part of the problem started when the State Department was left out of or ignored
in the pre-war planning loop.  Perhaps, it might help to bring in the State
Department's perspectives as well as those of the rest of the world.

Iraq/Afghanistan/Terrorism is perhaps part of one of the most difficult problems
ever to face humankind -- perhaps the survival of humankind hangs in the
balance.  I don't have the answer, but as a professional problem solver I think
that many different alternatives must be examined and evaluated in a factual,
ethnic, cultural religious, and humanitarian context including many that are
unpalatable to the current American administration.

Wayne
Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com