[Vision2020] The Facts about the Moscow Food Co-op

bjswan@moscow.com bjswan@moscow.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:57:59 GMT

Bill,

Thanks for setting the record straight about the Co-op.  It's nice to hear it
is doing well.  I was there at noon today and the place was so crowded it was
hard to get in the door. It is the Gem of Downtown Moscow and citizens with
living wage jobs will keep it that way.  I would also bet that more than half
of the "high-tech" employees in Alturas Park are members of the Co-op as I see
many of them there regularly.  They wouldn't be members or customers if Alturas
was not here and their businesses were located in Lewiston, Spokane or beyond.
Just another example of the positive economic impact of Alturas Park on
Downtown Moscow.

B. J. Swanson

----------------------------------

> The recent post (reprinted below) about the Moscow Food Co-op sales is
> --as everyone assumes--bogus.  Of course Barbara Richardson Crouch did
> not write it, and furthermore it is false information.
> To set the record straight:
> ---Rosauers supermarket did open a "natural foods" section in July.  For
> the next month, sales at the Moscow Food Co-op rose only 4% above the
> previous year (for the last several years, sales have been increasing at
> the Co-op by about 20% annually).  However, this month, sales at the
> Moscow Food Co-op are 15% above last years' level. The Co-op is doing
> very well, and recently expanded its daily hours of operation.
> ---According to a 2002 survey by the Latah Economic Development Council,
> throughout the year, the number one destination for shoppers in downtown
> Moscow is the Moscow Food Co-op.  In the summer, the Saturday Farmers'
> Market draws more shoppers, but that is one day per week and only true
> for several months every year.  The Co-op remains the #1 retail
> destination downtown.
> BL
>

> > A recent study conducted in Moscow and Pullman, shows that Rosauers
> >Supermarket in Moscow
> >outsold The Moscow Food Co-op in the month of August in organic foods.
> >

> >>This, despite the fact that The Moscow Food Co-op insists that it is the
> >>

> >number one reason
> >why people visit downtown Moscow.
> >

> >>At the current rate of sales that Rosauers in Moscow sells organic foods at
> >>

> >its
> >beautifully styled "Huckleberry's Natural Market" part of its store, The
Moscow

           http://www.fsr.net/