[Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:28:31 -0700

Amy,
    Of course this discussion has been disturbing. A local pastor (and
my dad) has been labeled a not so nice thing. Look at how this
discussion kicked off. An anonymous flyer posted around downtown
provided the newspaper with the slant of their front page weekend story.
They had been told prior to publication that the flyer was not ours, but
they still proceeded as if it was authentic. As far as I could tell,
they were soliciting comments of concern from various folks based on
false information (A conference on slavery? In the words of the French,
what the hell?). I'm trying to give the Daily News the benefit of the
doubt, but it's pretty tough. As Dale has pointed out, two papers have
passed since then and they have simply allowed their information to
stand. I've been tempted to subscribe simply so I can cancel.
    But we Douglas Wilson folks sure mince words, dodge the issue, and
thwart true communication. Let's see if I can do better here. I'm aiming
for clarity now, tell me if I miss it. The 9th annual History Conference
scheduled for this upcoming Black History Month, is not (and never has
been) on the topic of slavery. It's about Revolution and Modernity. If
you want to hear about Robespierre and Lord Byron, please come. As far
as slavery goes: Southern chattel slavery, and the European and American
slave trades were (here comes the foggy word) wicked. It was an
institution that every Christian was morally obligated to subvert.
However, my father is opposed to killing everyone to do it. I should
probably take the fifth and not incriminate us further, but if you're
interested, last year's topic was Church Fathers. They even talked about
that great African bishop (St. Augustine). Trying not to be dodgey here.

NDW