[Vision2020] Howard Dean's Confederate Flag Comment

Rob Keenan benjamin_barker@hotmail.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:04:27 -0800

Donovan (or anyone else) --

You're oversimplifying a few things here. First off, Dean supports states'
rights when it comes to gun control, believing each state has different gun
needs and accordingly should make their own individually tailored laws. This
plan is seen as sensible and realistic by the NRA and has earned their
endorsement.

Secondly, Dean is opposed to FEDERAL legislation endorsing gay marriage, as
he (rightly) recognizes such a law would be unconstitutional. Marriage laws
are left up to individual states to determine, although Dean DOES support
federal strides including immigration for same-sex partners, the end of the
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and beneficiary rights for same-sex partners
of federal employees.

Third, Dean is not necessarily committed to raising the Social Security
age -- this is one of several options he is considering to ensure the
long-term viability of the program. From his Web site: "He does not believe
it is necessary to raise the retirement age in order to put Social Security
on a sound economic footing for the long run but he is committed to taking
the steps necessary to ensure that Social Security will be there for the
next generation as it has been for us and our parents."

Fourth, Dean supports the use of capital punishment only in "extreme and
heinous" cases, which he describes as "terrorism or the killing of police
officers or young children." While I personally am against the death penalty
in any form, Dean has his finger firmly on the pulse of most Americans with
this.

Your opinion of Dean as a nonviable candidate is puzzling. Dean has earned
broad-based appeal, winning the endorsement of the SEIU over Gephardt. Dean
is STILL leading in the polls. His straightforward campaign has made it
clear that over and over again he knows what people want. You go up to
anyone on the street and ask them if they support things like affordable
health care, equal rights for all Americans, an end to the USA PATRIOT
act -- they're going to tell you yes.

I know where Dean stands, and I'm comfortable with the balance between
achieveable goals and lofty ideals. I can't say I know anything about the
platforms of Clark or Kerry, and that's not for lack of trying. A rave by a
friend of mine prompted me to check out Clark's Web site -- when I click on
the "On the Issues" button, I see this paragraph: "My vision for a New
American Patriotism calls for leadership that will make the right choices
for all of our people as we confront enormous historic challenges: the right
choices to make our country stronger, the right choices for health care, the
right choices for the economy, and the right choices for national security."

Um ... OK. So, what are they? Clark NEVER TELLS US. I don't know where the
man stands on the issues; I don't know what he believes. How could I
possibly get behind a man I don't know anything about?

Dean has an obvious and deserved support base, and this will continue to
grow. I'll bet you a latte at Bucer's he wins the party nomination.

ROB