[Vision2020] Posting to Vision2020

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:27:05 -0800

Tom H. wrote:

> > The issue is punching a time card and the taxpayers reasonably
> > expecting that someone is actually working as opposed to
> responding to
> > Vision2020 emails and surfing the web all day long.
>
> Every business, whether it be public or private, has
> established working hours.  At UI (during the fall, winter,
> and spring), these hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Monday
> thru Friday excluding holidays) with an hour off for lunch
> (and one 15 minute-break each before and after lunch).

What are the UI standards for personal use of computers and computer time
for doing personal work (Vision2020, surfing web, etc)?

And is this a school-wide policy? Or varies from manager to manager.

If there's a policy, please point me to it. I'd like to read it.

> Again, regardless if an employee is on salary or a wage
> earner, (s)he is expected to be "on the job".  Thus, time
> management has been defined.

Tom, this really is simplistic. The *reason* that faculty don't punch the
clock is because they are often doing research; teaching part-time; not
teaching at all; teaching overloads (and only get paid full time);
professional readings; etc.

So, while you may *think* that the two are the same, they are completely
different -- hence the expectations, responsibilities, and even the manner
of being paid (punching a time clock; taking breaks; being tenured; etc) is
*completely* different.

Oh, and FWIW, staff and faculty are typically paid from different pots of
money. I don't know how the UI does it, but I'd be surprised if it's not the
same there.

If you would like, I'd be glad to do an analysis of *all* UI staff employees
who post to Vision2020. Just send me their names (I don't know who they are)
and I'll do a full spreadsheet and graph for you -- pro bono.

Best,
Dale