[Vision2020] Idaho public school makes national news

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Tue, 27 May 2003 15:55:26 -0700

Greetings Visionaires -

To a small degree I can foresee the benefits related (as spelled out in the
CNN article) to single-gender classes.  What I am afraid of (and I certainly
hope that I am proven wrong) is that resultant evolution of this
single-gender class concept may be turning our clocks back fifty years.
Fifteen or twenty years from now, I would certainly hate to realize that the
girls' fifth grade math class has degenerated to accurately measuring
teaspoons for the latest recipe.

Prior to transferring to the University of Idaho, I attended North Idaho
College.  While there, I enrolled and completed classes in Pre-Calculus,
Calculus I, and Calculus II.  All three of these courses were administered
by female teachers, the youngest being approximately 50 to 55 years of age.

I am certain that there are female teachers/proffessors subscribed to this
listserve and I would love to read their feelings about the single-gender
classroom.

Take care,

Tom Hansen