[Vision2020] Speaking of squirrels

Mushroom mushroom@moscow.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:20:46 -0700

Carl Westberg wrote:

> I don't recall as a kid growing up in Moscow during the 1950s and 60s ever
> seeing squirrels in town.  Now they're running amok.  Is my memory faulty,
> or were they somehow brought into Moscow and have basically taken over?

Hi Carl--

If you lived in an old part of town, disregard all this--

The parts of town with newer homes mostly started out with
no trees, and it takes 20 or 25 years for planted trees to
get to be decent sized. And it takes some trees in a
neighborhood to encourage squirrels to run amok.

I imagine the City Council hates to hear that you think the
squirrels have taken over. If the squirrels really had, we
would have got the Palouse Mall strip along the highway
replanted a couple years ago.

Don Coombs

There is an opening here for Somebody Who Knows to report
how squirrels came to colonize western towns.