[Vision2020] News Article, Mental Illness, Fixation of Belief Discussion

Doug Jones credenda@moscow.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 17:24:17 -0400

Wayne Fox says:

> If you want to ignore logic as it now exists, then don't be a
hypocrite and
> use it when it suits your purpose but disown it when it does not.
>
> If you respond to message with an argument, you will make my point
very
> nicely.

You recite this mantra regularly, but it still just assumes what you're
trying to prove: namely, that there are only two options for arguing --
traditional logic or chaos. But those aren't the only two choices. Other
universes can provide order, distinctions, communicability, arguments,
epistemological norms, etc. and need not invoke your rather narrow and
abstract notion of impersonal logical necessity, a rather odd,
nonevolutionary force in your cosmos.

But in the end, you've already killed what you claim you want. You've
made your law of noncontradiction into butter -- squishy, relative,
changing, and somehow invisible but visible too. Your main argument
should be with yourself, not me. You've gutted the god you worship.

> I freely admit in hoping for certain truths but not being able to
prove
> them,

Quite a concession. Then why get hot and bothered by mental illness? It
says the same as you.

Doug Jones