[Vision2020] Oath for gun ownership/self-government

Joshua Nieuwsma joshuahendrik@yahoo.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:48:17 -0700 (PDT)

--0-393519812-1053114497=:37170

Mr. Arnold,

I did some research and here are some statistics. Go to the following website, like I did, if you want to check out what I am about to write.http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10.html
These statistics are from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. The latest data they had was the year 2000.

In the year 2000, accidental gun deaths totaled 776 people. That is unintentional gun firings (like a kid getting hold of his father's gun and pulling the trigger, not knowing that it was loaded.).
Firearm Deaths due to legal intervention (police intervention to stop a crime or citizens protecting themselves) totaled 270 people.

Firearm deaths due to suicide: 16,586 !!!!

Firearm deaths due to homicide (i.e. intentional murder by criminals): 10,801 people.

Firearm Deaths due to unknown intent (i.e. anything else): 230 people.

Seems to me, Mr. Arnold, that your "common sense" ideas will only, out of a total of 28,663 people, possibly protect about 776 people. That isn't a very successful program, Mr. Arnold. Common sense won't stop 16, 586 suicides, and criminals will continue to kill 10,801 people. Like I said before, the percentage of deaths due to accident or innocent bystanders is very small. According to my calculations (leaving out the 230 unknown intent deaths) accidental deaths amount to a whopping 2.7% of the national death rate due to guns. If you assume unknown intent to be some sort of accident, the percentage goes up to 3.5%. Deaths due to criminal assault: 37.7%. Deaths due to suicide: 57.86%. Mr. Arnold, common sense doesn't save people who are intent upon killing themselves. Common sense doesn't stop criminals. What we need are more stringent laws against murder, not more regulations on guns. These statistics make that very very clear. And how do you stop suicide? except by removin!
 g the teaching of evolution, that makes everyone think it doesn't matter if they kill themselves since they are just products of billions of genetic mistakes, bunches of chemical compounds, and not human souls.

I will agree that your examples of regulations did bring safety to those things. But I am not convinced that the government is needed for companies to figure out how to make safe products. If their products are not safe, people stop buying them. Engineers have developed very stringent safety codes for themselves. Bad engineering ruins companies.

And your statistic of teen deaths is wrong. According to the website cited above, there were 8,283 deaths due to car accidents in the year 2000 of young people ages <1 to 19. There were 17,673 deaths total in the year 2003 due to any injury or cause, whether accidental or premeditated, of people ages <1 to 19. And of those 17,673 deaths, 3,042 were due to guns. 193 of those are accidental deaths. 1776 of those are homocides or intentional criminal acts of murder. 30 deaths of those were intentional intervention by the law or by others protecting themselves against gangs. 1007 were due to suicides. And 36 were due to unknown intent. So let's run the numbers again. Combining the unknown intent with accidental deaths, we find that 1.2% of the deaths of children and teenagers due to guns were accidental deaths. Teen and child suicides, Mr. Arnold, from guns, is 5.6%. Homocides from guns are 10%. Overall, Mr. Arnold, deaths from guns is 17.2%, which is nowhere an overwhelming maj!
 ority. For comparison, car related deaths total 46.9%. Even your statistic on suicides overall is wrong, Mr. Arnold. Total suicides are 1,928 out of 17,673, or 10.9%. If you choose ages 13 to 19, the percentage for suicides from all causes rises to 15.5%. But even assuming merely teens and not children, the percent of deaths caused by guns is 24.3%. That is still nowhere an overwhelming majority, Mr. Arnold.

And Mr. Arnold, one more thing. We do not have a right to be safe from accidents. And it would not be an accident if someone forced you to be operated upon by a person who had no doctor's training. I have nothing against certification of doctors by their medical schools, but I do not believe in regulating doctors. Just sue the guy if he offers business and hasn't been trained and hurts someone! And if the person dies, then he murdered them. There isn't any need for regulation there. ANd your image of the average gun-toter is a straw man as well. Most people who carry guns are not inconsiderate of other's lives and rights. And most are not retards. Please stop insulting the average law-abiding citizen who desires to carry a gun, since that is the vast majority of gun owners.

sincerely,

Joshua Nieuwsma

--0-393519812-1053114497=:37170

<DIV>Mr. Arnold,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I did some research and here are some&nbsp;statistics. Go to the following website, like I did, if you want to check out what I am about to write.<A href="http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10.html">http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10.html</A> </DIV>
<DIV>These statistics are from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. The latest data they had was the year 2000.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In the year 2000, accidental gun deaths totaled 776 people. That is unintentional gun firings (like a kid getting hold of his father's gun and pulling the trigger, not knowing that it was loaded.).</DIV>
<DIV>Firearm Deaths due to legal intervention (police intervention to stop a crime or citizens protecting themselves) totaled 270 people.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Firearm deaths due to suicide: 16,586 !!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Firearm deaths due to homicide (i.e. intentional murder by criminals): 10,801 people.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Firearm Deaths due to unknown intent (i.e. anything else): 230 people.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Seems to me, Mr. Arnold, that your "common sense" ideas will only, out of a total of 28,663 people, possibly protect about 776 people. That isn't a very successful program, Mr. Arnold. Common sense won't stop 16, 586 suicides, and criminals will continue to kill 10,801 people. Like I said before, the percentage of deaths due to accident or innocent bystanders is very small. According to my calculations (leaving out the 230 unknown intent deaths) <STRONG>accidental</STRONG> deaths amount to a whopping 2.7% of the national death rate due to guns. If you assume unknown intent to be some sort of accident, the percentage goes up to 3.5%. Deaths due to <STRONG>criminal</STRONG> assault: 37.7%. Deaths due to <STRONG>suicide:</STRONG> 57.86%. Mr. Arnold, common sense doesn't save people who are intent upon killing themselves. Common sense doesn't stop criminals. What we need are more stringent laws against murder, not more regulations on guns. These statistics make that very ve!
 ry clear. And how do you stop suicide? except by removing the teaching of evolution, that makes everyone think it doesn't matter if they kill themselves since they are just products of billions of genetic mistakes, bunches of chemical compounds,&nbsp;and not human souls. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I will agree that your examples of regulations did bring safety to those things. But I am not convinced that the government is needed for companies to figure out how to make safe products. If their products are not safe, people stop buying them. Engineers have developed very stringent safety codes for themselves. Bad engineering ruins companies.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And your statistic of teen deaths is wrong. According to the website cited above, there were 8,283 deaths due to car accidents in the year 2000 of young people ages &lt;1 to 19. There were 17,673 deaths total in the year 2003 due to any injury or cause, whether accidental or premeditated, of people ages &lt;1 to 19. And of those 17,673&nbsp;deaths, 3,042 were due to guns. 193 of those are accidental deaths. 1776 of those are homocides or intentional criminal acts of murder. 30 deaths of those were intentional intervention by the law or by others protecting themselves against gangs. 1007 were due to suicides. And 36 were due to unknown intent. So let's run the numbers again. Combining the unknown intent with accidental deaths, we find that 1.2%&nbsp;of the deaths of children and teenagers due to guns were accidental deaths.&nbsp;Teen and child suicides, Mr. Arnold, from guns, is 5.6%.&nbsp;Homocides from guns are <STRONG>10%</STRONG>. Overall, Mr. Arnold, deaths from gun!
 s is 17.2%, which is nowhere an overwhelming majority. For comparison, car related deaths total 46.9%. Even your statistic on suicides overall is wrong, Mr. Arnold. Total suicides are 1,928 out of 17,673, or 10.9%. If you choose ages 13 to 19, the percentage for suicides from all causes rises to 15.5%. But even assuming merely teens and not children, the percent of deaths caused by guns is 24.3%. That is still nowhere an overwhelming majority, Mr. Arnold.</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And Mr. Arnold, one more thing. We do not have a right to be safe from accidents. And it would not be an accident if someone forced you to be operated upon by a person who had no doctor's training. I have nothing against certification of doctors by their medical schools, but I do not believe in regulating doctors. Just sue the guy if he offers business and hasn't been trained and hurts someone! And if the person dies, then he murdered them. There isn't any need for regulation there. ANd your image of the average gun-toter is a straw man as well. Most people who carry guns are not inconsiderate of other's lives and rights. And most are not retards. Please stop insulting the average law-abiding citizen who desires to carry a gun, since that is the vast majority of gun owners.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Joshua Nieuwsma</DIV></DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-393519812-1053114497=:37170--