[Vision2020] Logos School

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 14:12:36 -0700

Re: Robert E. Lee

It takes a distorted view of the universe to include Robert E. Lee in the
same company as Washington and Jefferson.  No person is a paragon; and most
persons' actions and beliefs are, in part, a product of their cultural
milieu which is sometimes judged harshly from a perspective forward in time
by many eras.

But not only was Robert E Lee a white male supremacist and a vigorous
proponent and lavish praiser of slavery, this hypocritical so-called "Godly"
man was according to at least some historical accounts given during my time
in high school and college, quite an unprincipled scoundrel and con artist.

At any rate, Lee's life time contribution to the welfare of humankind pales
before that of Washington and especially Jefferson -- without whose efforts
we would not be fearlessly having this open discussion on religious matters.
>From our current perspective Lee's contributions to humankind, on balance,
are, being charitable, of dubious value to most people, save those that
still share his white male supremacy, pro-slavery ethics and/or his
religious hypocrisy.  From listening to the discussion in the community in
the past weeks, it appears that the Christ Church cult leaders and perhaps
some members are among those that still subscribe to these limiting,
anti-humanity ethics.

It is natural and reasonable for the Christ Church cult to defend their
point of view;  but as Bill London pointed out earlier, they could do it
much more honestly by admitting what they are instead of hiding it in
spurious and sleight of hand arguments.

Here's an example: one of their written reasons for wishing to ban women
from the Logos School Board is  their wish to get fathers involved in the
education of their children.  Why shouldn't the mothers be just as involved
as well?  Although so-called Pastor Wilson studied philosophy at UI, he
seems to have slept through or repressed the content of the logic,
epistemology, and critical thinking courses.

Members of the Palouse community could have a clearer perspective by which
to decide what kind of person they wish to be if the Christ Church cult
would be much more honest about their the basis of their beliefs.

Wayne Fox

deco@moscow.com