[Vision2020] Mike Price SI story

johnmoss@moscow.com johnmoss@moscow.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:04:12 GMT

Dear Carl,

As in any democracy (which title the U.S. still clings to), a problem of this
nature would seem to point directly back to the people.  How can we complain
about over-payed coaches and players (professional sports), while at the same
time handing over $20, $40, or more dollars to go watch a game?

Sports in our country have god status.  The players are idolized; the coaches
are idolized.  And the fans "sacrifice" to go and worship them.  To what other
event can you go to for multiple weeks in a row and find 70,000 screaming
people?

We, the people, make up our nation.  We, the people, make up our government.
We, the people, make up our government institutions.  We, the people, make up
the crowds at the sporting events.

As far as I know, no U.S. citizen is being forcibly coerced to pay for football
tickets.

It would seem you are correct in saying that college athletics are now more
important than college academics.  At many government universities, the
football coach is payed significantly more than the university president.

How do we return collegiate sports to a more sane level of prestige?  Probably
around the same time we decide that attending a football game is not worth 10
meals of food.

And if anyone comes back and says that the football game is worth that much to
them, then I would hope I never hear them complaining that sports players get
paid more than McDonald's employees.

Cheers,

John

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com