[Vision2020] Grenade attack

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:27:44 -0800

Dear visionaries,

I really shouldn't have to explain all this, but am glad to have a go at it
nonetheless.

Rosemary asked, with eager expectation:

Although the *news media* may be baffled about the motive for the recent
grenade attack on an Army command post by an American serviceman,
apparently Doug Wilson isn't. Help us to understand, Doug, what the motive
was. Eagerly awaiting an answer,

And the answer is that I don't know what the motive was. But I do know what
the motive could have been, and what motive a smart investigator would have
right at the top of his list. My initial post was because of widespread
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS (which progressives descry even while they
industriously promulgate it). The most obvious motive, the one to check
first, is being outlawed from public discussion because we all know that
Islam has been declared the Religion of Peace. Maybe this guy did it for
religious reasons. Maybe he didn't. But only an investigative team filled
with handwringers and bedwetters would decline to check there FIRST.
Suppose Smith shot Murphy because he found him in bed with Smith's wife.
Suppose the murder had nothing to do with the adultery. That's certainly
possible. But the fact of adultery should be something the cops have at the
top of their list of likely motives. But suppose we had a POLITICAL AGENDA
that required that nothing be ever said against jealous husbands. The
headlines read: "Smith shoots Murphy in Smith's bed. Mrs. Smith in Tears.
Police Mystified over Motive." Were I to live in such a society . . .
actually, but I do live in such a society. Jeepers. And I am also confident
that some of you will think that I have erred grievously by equating Islam
with adultery, which I didn't do, but have your fun anyway.

Carl Westberg said:
I wonder what religion William Calley was. I rather doubt he was
Muslim, don't you?

Carl has found me out. If you go over my original post closely, you will
discover that I was really maintaining that only Muslims commit crimes.
Everyone else is perfect. I guess it is time for me to come clean.

Mark Rounds said:
The ethics of this war have been debated loud and long in this forum and I
hope that debate continues as this is the hallmark of a free society.
However, making jokes at the expense of those on the sharp end of the
stick, in my opinion, shows a lack of respect for them and their sacrifices.

And, in my opinion, people who don't get jokes shouldn't analyze them for
the rest of us.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson