[Vision2020] MSD financial condition

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:13:56 -0800

Mr. Courtney:

Just to correct a couple of facts before you share your
thoughts about the MSD budget:

1.  The 2001 $1.1 M supplemental levy is also "indefinite" as
were the earlier levies.

2.  Unless you have seen something that I haven't, there
has been no request for an increase to the levy (at least
not yet).

3.  Last year, teachers, administrators and all other staff
members did indeed have a pay increase--even in the
face of the district having to ask for a levy increase that
did NOT include any announced "salary component;"  and
even in the face of having to reduce staff and consolidate
West Park and Russell elementary schools into a single K-
6 program.

4.  You asked the question:  "... how you can have a
decrease in 2.7%enrollment per year for 7 years (12.9%
since 1996) and need to have a bloating budget?"  Possible
answers to investigate:

	a.  bad management:  failure to suck it up and do
what needs to be done to reduce staff where necessary
and deal with the wrath of the union, and parents, that is
bound to follow.

	b.  cost of services increase.  The 15% of the budget
that gets spent on curriculum (including books,
worksheets, and other instructional materials), technology
(computers, software, servers, security equipment), and
buildings (vehicles to plow the snow, desk replacement,
roof repairs, etc) suffers from cost of living increases over
7 years.  If a vehicle wears out today it will cost more to
replace it with a similar vehicle than it would have 7 years
ago.

	c.  salary increases:  note that salaries and benefits
account for about 85% of the MSD budget.  On a $17M
budget, that's $14,620,000.  That means of course that
every 1% of salary and benefit increase costs the district
$146,200.  Check the salary and benefit increases per year
over the 7 years you cited, apply 85% to each year's full
budget, and add the annual results to figure out
approximately how much increase is attributable to salary
and benefit increases over the period.

And, perhaps not "fact," it might nevertheless be useful to
acknowledge some other considerations.  Related to point
c. above:  of course, if the teacher/administrator/staff pool
had declined over the period, the salaries-to-total-budget
ratio would have been smaller.  In fairness, one must note
that since all the students are not in the same building and
not in the same grade, it is not possible to automatically
reduce staff proportionally with student population
decreases.  For example:  let's say there are 125 classes in
session at any given time in MSD.  If student population
declines in a perfectly random way (and I'm not
suggesting it does), we lose one student per classroom.
What teacher do we "cut" next year, and from which
building.  I am not suggesting that everything was done
over the last 7 years (or any time period for that matter)
that could have been to appropriately reduce staff.  But it
should be clear from the illustration that the problem is
not as simple as it might seem.  What may also be clear is
that to cut staff and consolidate classes means larger
class sizes and more children being moved from their
attendance area elementary buildings each year, and
more teachers being reassigned to new buildings.
Teachers and parents don't like any of those results, they
pound on the school board not to do that, and so the
budget has to be larger to accommodate those desires.
So far a majority of the voting community has supported
that philosophy--or perhaps they created it.  The school
board is left in the position of going to voters and saying in
effect:  "if you want things to continue to run as they have
in the past, we need more money."  One can reasonably
argue that the board would have abdicated their
responsibilities had they cut staff in the face of voters
continued funding of exisiting staff size.  It is not yet clear
either: 1.  whether increased  funding will be necessary to
maintain current operations; and, 2.  whether voters will
continue to increase the levy to meet those needs.

Mike Curley