[Vision2020] Heat wave and power use

Mark Seman FCS@Moscow.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:42:43 -0700

Fans will help you feel cooler with the same air temp and use about 200 +/-
watts each.  A/C will actually take heat out of the air and blow it around
with 1500 +/- watts.  The a/c blowing on you (or cats) will feel much
cooler.  How comfortable do you need to be?  Would a block of ice in front
of the fan suffice?

I observed yesterday when I came home from work that the indoor temp was 80
while outdoors was 100.  No air conditioning - shade trees (planted years
earlier), open windows at night / shut during day (last night's outdoor temp
was 50 @ 4am), insulation in walls and ceiling, and masonry thermal mass in
a remodeled 2000sf  1 1/2 story house.

1 dog & 3 cats, slabbed-out on the kitchen's vinyl floor for conductive
cooling.

Mark
Mark & Heather Seman
Full Circle Studios