[Vision2020] Palouse Water

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston@turbonet.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:49:36 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C34F19.937EC000

MessageI encourage someone with more knowledge than I to answer the =
specific questions raised by Dale Courtney about Ms. Peters' aquifer =
statements and the City's water agreements.  I have a general =
understanding of the PBAC agreements re: water usage among UI, WSU, =
Pullman and Moscow.  Others are better able to give accurate, detailed =
descriptions of those agreements than I could do.  I don't believe that =
the City of  Moscow has made any agreements with the State;  I believe =
the agreements were local, i.e., with the aformentioned, primary Palouse =
water users, and NOT the State. =20

As I understand it, the State would enter into this only as a result of =
the current water mining situation and forcing of the issue by concerned =
citizens in an effort to encourage  responsible control/use of our =
water.  I also am under the impression that it is a virtual "given" that =
the State will exert control over the water if a petition is presented =
to the State because of the extent of the water usage and the dropping =
aquifer levels.  The voluntary water conservation efforts are part of an =
attempt by the City of Moscow to show that it can cut down on its usage =
to fit within its prior agreements, LOCALLY, and obviate the need for =
State intervention that could/would occur if the City refuses to live up =
to its prior local agreements and the petitions were presented to the =
State.

Finally, I do not mean to speak for the MCA, of which I am a member, but =
my understanding is in accord with yours, Dale, i.e., that MCA is NOT in =
favor of "no growth."   As outlined in its recent public meetings, MCA =
seeks  "Smart Growth" - artistically, culturally, downtown, in our =
neighborhoods and in the area of city impact and beyond in the valley =
between Paradise Ridge and Moscow Mountain that we call home.  It is my =
impression that the Naylor Farms' attempt at a  "water rights grab" -- =
for undetermined purposes and with unknown effects upon the rest of us =
-- raised concerns about rampant, unfettered and potentially damaging =
growth to me, and many of my compatriots in the MCA and Moscow, =
generally.=20

Hope that someone answers Dale's water/geology questions before he goes =
bald from all of that scratching he's doing.  I'd like to know, too, and =
I can't spare the hair.

Bruce Livingston

  ----- Original Message -----=20