[Vision2020] When Will "FREE" TRADERS be held accountable?

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:31:48 -0700

Ted wrote:
> Of course we are in a global economy!  Why point out
> something that I am sure Tim and everyone is aware of?

Because there is a subtle assumption that the Federal Government is
*creating* a global economy.

> Also, your point about the internet jobs sent to other
> nations is not quite
> correct.  We would not have to dismantle the internet to stop
> this business
> practice.  US based companies could be prevented by law from
> outsourcing
> jobs that use the internet to other nations.  And it can be
> determined if a
> company is using the internet to outsource jobs to other
> countries, so such
> a law would be enforceable.

Well, since nearly *every* US firm has overseas branches, how would you
propose to stop it?

For example, Oracle is to more than double its software development staff in
India
(http://www.computerworld.com/computerworld/exs/story/0,5324,82909,00.html?n
lid=AM). Take a look at Oracle's offices globally
(http://www.oracle.com/global). Would you suggest that they shutdown all
international operations? Or only hire Americans? Or what? American
corporations are not *just* in America any more.

Again, it is naive to assume that jobs don't go to the best worker for the
lowest cost. America has in a lot of sectors priced itself out of the labor
market, and trade barriers will not work in the new economy.

If you *really* want to save jobs, then I suggest you look at playing by the
new rules and not the old ones.

Again, I'd encourage you to read Toffler's "The Third Wave" -- a very
revealing (albeit dated) book about the new economy.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho