[Vision2020] Pakistan Is Worse Than Iraq

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:34:01 +0000

All:

Please excuse the other incomplete vision2020 post I accidentally sent on
the Pakistan and terrorism issue.  This is the post I meant to send.

The argument being presented by the Bush administration to justify war
against Iraq is kept simple, partly for the utility of the media sound bites
needed to manipulate public sentiment.  We are told Iraq sponsors terrorism,
is secretly harboring or developing weapons of mass destruction, and
threatens other nations in the middle east, all while flaunting United
Nation resolutions to disarm.  OK.

Let's look at a current U.S. alley, Pakistan, a dictatorship with Musharraf
as despot that without doubt harbors supporters of Osama Bin Laden's Islamic
fundamentalist terrorism, and absolutely has weapons of mass destruction,
nuclear weapons that can be delivered with missiles.  Pakistan not only
threatens India with nuclear weapons, but also engages in brutal acts of
terrorism against civilians in India, the worlds largest Democracy.

It appears all the reasons to bomb Iraq also apply even more to Pakistan.

Of course Musharraf claims Pakistan's government and military do not support
these terrorist attacks in India, or Osama Bin Laden, and have rational
control over their nuclear weapons.  But any student of Pakistan's politics
can tell you there are elements within Musharraf's government and military
who sympathize with Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.  Pakistan supported
the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Nuclear weapons on missiles that can be launched in a nation rife with
terrorism in its borders?
Do we see demands from Bush for Pakistan to disarm?

Why are we not demanding that Musharraf and Pakistan disarm their weapons of
mass destruction, eliminate the supporters of Osama Bin Laden within their
borders, and stop all terrorism against India, or we will bomb them?

Of course there are numerous and complicated geo-political-economic
strategic reasons that would require detailed exploration to answer that
question fully.  But I think it is clear the propaganda we are being fed by
the Bush administration does not offer the public in America the actual
strategic thinking that is really behind this pending war in Iraq.

If we actually debate the pending war in Iraq as though the reasons we are
engaging in this war are the ones dominating the media and the propaganda of
the Bush administration, we are not looking at the reality of what's behind
this war.

Ted