[Vision2020] Why doesn't the Sisterhood learn to shoot?

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:47:52 -0800

Ted:

You need to get out more, or find new people to hang out with.

All of the women I know, without exception, are, A) opinionated, B)
well-educated, C) assertive, D) competent, E) fun to be around, and F)
make more money than me.  Some of them are pacifists, some of them
shoot for recreation.  Of the ones who shoot, two are better shots with
a handgun than I am, and I used to shoot for the 3rd Marine Division
team.  My former karate instructor is five feet two, cute, weighs about
one hundred and ten pounds, and could lick the UI offensive line.

We live in a great country, where you can be anyone and anything you
want to be, so long as you are willing to work hard and stand up for
yourself.  Excuses are invidious.  Performance is what counts.

My best friend at Ft. Lewis was Yvonne Combs, an Army major.  She was
female, black and five feet three inches tall.  Her mother, a public
school principal in Tacoma, sacrificed to send her to one of the best
private girls schools in Washington... Annie Wright.  Yvonne graduated
from UW with honors, and chose the Army as her career.  She was bright,
hard-working and competent.  And she was one of the biggest opponents
of affirmative action I have ever known.  She got tired of getting
promoted and being assigned to jobs with greater authority and
responsibility and having people assume that it was because she was
female and black.  Yvonne didn't need that kind of crap in her life,
because she was smart and competent.  She retired as a full colonel,
and is now living in Florida.

Condoleeza Rice doesn't seem particularly "held back" to me.

If women are playing a less than major role in "certain powerful
fundamentalist Christian sects" then I suggest that they organize, take
over, and change the rules.  Or change sects.  Or start their own sect.
  Or stop whining.

As for women in other countries, they need to get their act together
and take responsibility for their own lives, too.  You can't change
people's hearts, cultures or religions from the outside.  Go back and
read "Lysistrata" again.

Meanwhile, while you search for new friends, I will continue to hang
out with mine, because I enjoy the company of good, smart, funny,
competent people, both male and female.

Regards,

Don Kaag