[Vision2020] re: liquor liability

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:15:08 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D37B.13E52E20

Upon review of your analogy, Mr. Courtney, it is clear that the grocery
store in former East Germany did not (and could not) provide more of a
variety than the "state" allowed.  However, unlike East Germany, variety is
plentiful not only here in the United States, but in Idaho as well.  You can
attend public schools (funded by tax dollars) or you can attend private
schools.  Public morals notwithstanding, one is only limited by his/her
imagination and drive.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Courtney [mailto:dale@courtneys.us]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 6:20 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] re: liquor liability

Bob wrote:

> Uh, Let's see.  I'm no historian, but I thought the Federal Constitution
> says all powers not exclusive to the federal government are reserved for
> the states.

That was true. I would argue that it hasn't been true for the last 150
years. When we won the war on racial slavery we lost the war on Federalism.
But that's a different story for a different time.

> And I'm no lawyer, but since Idaho is a state, and the Federal
> government is not in the business of running a general public education
> system, I thought it was State's jurisdiction to be in the schooling
> business, if the state wants to be, which Idaho obviously does, given the
> state's constitution.

That's where I would disagree. Just because the State wants to be in the job
of doing something doesn't mean it should.

I remember traveling in East Germany in 1979. I went to a grocery store to
get some cereal for breakfast. There were only two options for cereal on the
shelves in the entire store -- and their flavors were "bad" and "worse"
(they really were awful). I asked the clerk at the counter why there were
only two types available and she told me that's all that the State allowed.
Anything more was wasteful and extravagance. For this boy raised on Ayn Rand
and objectivism, it was a stark realization of what the Libertarians had
been saying all along.

I do *not* want either the State of Idaho or the Federal Government telling
the people what they can/cannot have. By being in the business of providing
a "service", the State is de facto telling us what we can/cannot have and
do.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D37B.13E52E20

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=643000516-13022003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Upon
review of your analogy, Mr. Courtney, it is clear that the grocery store in
former East Germany did not (and could not) provide more of a variety than the
"state" allowed.&nbsp; However, unlike East Germany, variety is plentiful not
only here in the United States, but in Idaho as well.&nbsp; You can attend
public schools (funded by tax dollars) or you can attend private schools.&nbsp;
Public morals notwithstanding, one is only limited by his/her imagination and
drive.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=643000516-13022003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=643000516-13022003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Tom
Hansen</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=643000516-13022003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Moscow, Idaho</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Dale Courtney
  [mailto:dale@courtneys.us]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, February 13, 2003 6:20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> vision2020@moscow.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: [Vision2020] re:
  liquor liability<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><!-- Converted from text/plain format -->
  <P><FONT size=2>Bob wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Uh, Let's see.&nbsp; I'm no historian,
  but I thought the Federal Constitution<BR>&gt; says all powers not exclusive
  to the federal government are reserved for<BR>&gt; the
  states.&nbsp;<BR><BR>That was true. I would argue that it hasn't been true for
  the last 150 years. When we won the war on racial slavery we lost the war on
  Federalism. But that's a different story for a different time. <BR><BR>&gt;
  And I'm no lawyer, but since Idaho is a state, and the Federal<BR>&gt;
  government is not in the business of running a general public
  education<BR>&gt; system, I thought it was State's jurisdiction to be in the
  schooling<BR>&gt; business, if the state wants to be, which Idaho obviously
  does, given the<BR>&gt; state's constitution.<BR><BR>That's where I would
  disagree. Just because the State <U>wants</U> to be in the job of doing
  something doesn't mean it <U>should</U>. <BR><BR>I remember traveling in East
  Germany in 1979. I went to a grocery store to get some cereal for breakfast.
  There were only two options for cereal on the shelves in the entire store --
  and&nbsp;their flavors were "bad" and "worse" (they really were awful). I
  asked the clerk at the counter why there were only two types available and she
  told me that's all that the State allowed. Anything more was wasteful and
  extravagance. For this boy raised on Ayn Rand and objectivism, it was a stark
  realization of what the Libertarians had been saying all along. <BR><BR>I do
  *not* want either the State of Idaho or the Federal Government telling the
  people what they can/cannot have. By being in the business of providing a
  "service", the State is <EM>de facto </EM>telling us what we can/cannot have
  and do. </FONT></P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Dale Courtney<BR>Moscow,
Idaho</FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D37B.13E52E20--