[Vision2020] unequivocal words of God

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:29:27 -0700

Visionaries,

that the phrases "the real world" and "the material world" are not
interchangeable. Embedded in Don's question is the clear assumption that
the Enlightenment project has its act together. IOW, the scientific method
does not apply to matters of faith, but is rather a matter of testing
conclusions about the "real world." Thus leaving matters of faith standing
outside in the coldness of that unreal world, shivering in their skivvies.

But our students are taught that the *material* world behaves predictably--
precisely because it was created by our gracious triune God, who does not
want us to turn the oven to 350 degrees for an hour, only to open the oven
door to find the cake turned into a frozen slab. And so we teach them that
a great deal can be learned about the predictability of tiny slice of the
*real* world, that part of it that we call the *material* world, and that
this is done by the scientific method. At a certain altitude, water boils
at the same temperature applied for the same length of time.
Experimentation, observation, repeatability. This method has obtained for
us many cool gee-whizzeries, for which I thank a kind Providence. But this
method leaves me just where I was when it comes to many other aspects of
the real world, such as the Holy Spirit, the authority of modus ponens, the
dramatic structure of Hamlet, and the history of Farley's ghost.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson