[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:07:49 -0800

Five children under five years of age were killed in that van.  Five babies
and children that I'd like to believe Don Kaag didn't intend to include in
the obscene phrase "not a major loss to the gene pool."

What I find so painfully horrific about this situation, which will multiply
across Iraq as the war continues, is the destruction of everyone touched by
it.  Those children are dead.  A pregnant woman was wounded but survived.  A
man was seriously wounded and is expected to die.  None of them was armed.

And a group of very young soldiers--the average age of U.S. soldiers in this
war is 19--will never recover from what they were forced by circumstance to
do.   They will live with the blood of children on their hands.  What did
they do to deserve that?  What rhetoric of liberation, or "support for the
troops" can heal them?  Their humanity has been crushed, and they are as
innocent as those dead children.

The shame of this war rests on all of us:  it's our war.  We invaded Iraq in
pursuit of--what?  Peace?  Liberation?  Oil?  I don't know.  Whatever it
was, it wasn't worth the brief agony of those children or the lifelong
suffering of those soldiers.  It wasn't worth the dehumanization that makes
it possible for anyone here at home to dismiss their pain as "too bad" for
them.

Melynda Huskey

"We utterly deny all outward wars and strife, and fightings with outward
weapons, for any end, or under any pretense whatsoever: this is our
testimony to the whole world."
Quaker Declaration of 1660