[Vision2020] Media Watch

Ry Jones v2020@ryjones.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:25:07 -0800

At one time I set up some gear downtown close to the transmitters for the
LCS, MPD, and ISP. I used one scanner per frequency and date-time stamping
software so I could capture all radio transmissions on all channels and
encode it to an MP3. My idea was that I could put together a much better
police blotter than the Daily News.

However... most of the chatter is boring (duh) and I can sum up all the MPD
radio traffic in a few lines:
"Intoxicated subject taken into custody at [bar]"
"Subjects were told to keep the music turned down"
"LCS needs traffic control on [8, 95] for collision"
"Subject taken into custody on suspicion of domestic violence"

So, after archiving all this for about 6 months (boy, I burned a lot of CDs)
I just got bored, shredded the CDs and forgot about it. It's just not that
interesting.

On a side note, I have to say the MPD/LCS/ISP are a lot more professional
than a lot of other police departments I've listened to.